From Play Date to Soul Mate

Monday, August 12, 2013

Family Camping Trip in Kentucky

My family is spread out in several different states. Daniel and I live in Indiana, my parents and youngest siblings live in Alabama, two of my sisters live in Tennessee and one of my sisters goes to college in Texas. This makes it difficult for us to all get together at the same time. So this summer we decided to plan a trip where we could ALL get together. What did we decide to do? Go camping…in tents… not RVs!!! 

I have 4 sisters and 1 brother…here we are! From left to right: Danielle, Sophie, Morgan, myself, Walker, and Laura


 and when you add in my husband, Danielle's fiance Stephen, and Laura and Morgan's boyfriends Cameron and Jason, plus my parents…that made for 12 of us going camping!

 We booked 2 camp sites at Rough River Dam State Resort Park in Kentucky. We all met at the campground on Friday. The forecast was rain all weekend. We all prayed and prayed that the rain would pass and thankfully we only got a little bit of rain Friday night and Saturday morning. We also were blessed to have a campsite with lots of trees that helped block the rain. Friday night we made hotdogs over the fire and of course we made s'mores for dessert. We also listened to Daniel and Jason play guitar and sing. 

Walker roasting a marshmallow...


My handsome hubby...

We also celebrated my oldest sisters birthday…Laura 

Saturday we got up and made breakfast over the campfire…croissants rolled in cinnamon and sugar…yum! After breakfast we drove to a neat walking bridge where you have a view of the Rough River and part of the falls. It wasn't quite what we expected but it was still nice.

Isn't my hubby sweet?






Then we played some sand volleyball which with my family can get pretty competitive…no one likes to lose…especially the boys. After the volleyball game we went down by the lake. Some of us swam…others (including myself) did not swim for fear of the blue algae…yuck!

My dad and my brother...

My mom on the lake beach…

Daniel and I...
\


 Then we all went hiking and the boys all had to take turns swinging on this awesome vine… 



After our hike we played a couple rounds of knock out and then we all headed to the swimming pool to cool off. The water was a little cold but it was still fun! After swimming we headed back to our camp site and made hobo meals and corn on the cob over the fire which was delicious! For dessert we made banana boats over the fire and those were amazing… I may or may not have had more than one :)

Sunday morning we made pancakes, eggs, and sausage and then we sat around the fire and sang worship songs and did a group devotion on Ephesians 3:20….thankfully God hears our praise and we are free to worship Him no matter where we are! After devotions we hung out around the campsite talking and throwing the frisbee around before taking down the 3 tents and packing everything up. Then we made some pitta pizzas over the fire for lunch….easy and yummy! 

Then we celebrated Walkers birthday a couple days early…. the boys enjoyed the blue icing...


Then we said our goodbyes and took one last group photo…this is our typical selves…

Overall it was a great camping trip! I love spending time with my family and what better way to do it than in the great outdoors?!!!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment