From Play Date to Soul Mate

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Memorize Scripture…It's Necessary!

I recently picked up a book called 100 Bible Verses Everyone Should Know by Heart and started reading it. I haven't gotten very far in it but it discusses the importance of memorizing scripture, how it's vital for us emotionally, mentally, and spiritually. For some reason it suddenly clicked…oh yeah, I should be memorizing scripture! Why have I not been doing this? The Bible is our guide and our manual on how to live life. It's the best way to get to know God better. We study and memorize rules, things in school, and stuff for our work. Why aren't we memorizing Scripture? Sure we memorized stuff in Sunday School as a kid, but are we still doing that? Maybe you have, but I know I have not been doing this.  We are taught to live by God's Word... but isn't that harder to do if you don't know it by heart. Now I'm not talking about memorizing the entire Bible…that's just not realistic, but I am saying we should memorize verses of the Bible, especially those that are good to share with others in time of grief, hardship, worry, joy, sickness, fear, and to use in evangelism.  I thought to myself,  how can I  live by and share with others the best book ever written and the best, most important news ever if I don't know it by heart? God's Word is the most important and life changing thing! I don't want to just study it from now on, I want to KNOW it and MEMORIZE it! I understand memorizing does not come easy to everyone. However, we have a God who is good and powerful! If memorizing is difficult for you, PRAY! Ask God to help you! He will! I know it! Daniel and I are challenging ourselves to memorize a new verse each day. We are supporting each other and helping each other in this. Find someone to help you! I challenge you to MEMORIZE scripture... not because I'm saying you should…but because it's important so we can better live by it and have it fresh in our heads to share with others!! 










                                                      post signature

1 comment:

  1. Have you read the book, "The Heavenly man."? It's a true story about a Chinese man - he memorized entire books of the Bible!! I highly recommended it.

    ReplyDelete